Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Time to Twitter Up

Well, as you know, I have started blogging about my technology journey.  Last post was about setting up my website.  Once that was up and going, and I felt that I could accomplish anything.  So the next thing that attracted my attention was Twitter.

The obvious first thing I did was a search for Twitter.  I signed up for an account and then it was time to get started.  But what to do?  I was not really sure.  Twitter, of course, makes suggestions for you and helps you find people, but I still did not really understand the whole Twitter thing.

So then I figured something out.  Just follow, for a change.  Don't feel compelled to be a leader. Don't be compelled to express an opinion.  Just follow.

And that is the advice I give to anyone breaking into Twitter.  Just follow and learn.  You can learn what kind of tweets you enjoy receiving.  Usually it is a mix.  I follow people who have very interesting things to say, who give me links to interesting sites, and who show a little of their human side.  I follow people I am interested in, whether it is a celebrity, a marketing guru, a tech addict, or outstanding legal voices in our community.  Once I find someone interesting, I try to find out who they are following.  Maybe they are following interesting people, too.  You are welcomed to find out who is following me @pammakowski.  Maybe you will be interested in some of them, too.

But once you have followed for a while, it is time to participate.  As my friend @BaranCLE likes to point out, it is not really polite to be a lurker.  You should contribute to the conversation.  What I like to do is send out content based on links to interesting sites, updates to my blog, new ideas that I have, and then I like to retweet things I have received.

Just remember that this is like the biggest cocktail party you have been to, and everyone (even the ones you do not know) can overhear you.

That means that the initial following should also teach you etiquette.  For example, don't say something really evil about someone.  That person could end up reading this!  Don't give away your case strategy, because your opposing counsel could follow you and no matter how much you hide the details, a good opposing counsel will figure it out.  Obviously, don't reveal confidential information.  If a client is following you and send you a tweet, remember that everyone can follow that conversation.  Send the client a direct message to talk to you privately.

So the next thing you need to do is really understand Twitter and all of the settings and the implications of sending a Tweet versus a DM.  You need to learn how to follow the Tweets of a particular individual.  Learn, learn, learn the medium so you don't end up hurting yourself.

Finally, remember that this is just like any other form of written conversation.  What you send cannot be interpreted by tone, so be sure to read for tone.  Put the usual disclaimers on your profile like "not legal advice" or "not attorney-client relationship".  Look at how other lawyers do it.  Follow the rules of ethics.  You cannot disguise your identity in order to trick someone into giving you something for the trial.  That is called perpetrating a fraud on the court.

Overwhelmed?  Don't be.  This whole Twitter thing is very doable.

So why would you do it?  I have learned so much from other lawyers that I would never have the chance to learn.  I have participated in hashtag conversations (you will learn what that is) and found out about the local rules in Boston that make sense and solve a problem that we have here in Columbus!  I have ended up picking up the phone and having a real conversation with people I follow, or an active email correspondence.  These are all relationships I would never have had in my secluded office here in German Village.

And when my client comes to talk to me about what his or her spouse has tweeted or facebooked, I understand the process and it doesn't take too much research to know the appropriate legal response.  Injunctions?  Yes, you can enjoin someone from doing things.

Take your time, one step at a time, and then you will be well on your way.

What do you think?


Pam is currently working on a manual for lawyers to elaborate further on some of these ideas.  Your comments and questions are welcomed.

2 comments:

  1. Love the post, Pam. I would stress retweeting when starting out - but genuinely so. Then the person you've retweeted will be like, I'm thankful for the RT but who the heck is this person? Then they check out your profile and many click on the link in your bio to further check out your blog or website (if you've placed a link there). Also, I do think it's OK to lurk - some want to only follow/keep up with the news, but to experience the full benefits of these social media platforms, yes, engaging is where it's at -- like we do with each other :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tim, more great ideas as usual. I had forgotten about the value of re-tweeting judiciously (a boring lawyer way of saying "genuinely.") Also, good notes on the importance of really utilizing the profile fully. I just passed by second anniversary on Twitter and it seems that there is so much to remember. And forget.

    ReplyDelete